TLC Plates (Thin Layer Chromatography)
Rediscover the Power of Thin Layer Chromatography Using TLC Plates
TLC Plates (thin layer chromatography) might be one of the most undervalued methods of chromatographic analysis for the separation and identification of chemical substances.
Thin Layer Chromatography provides:
- Rapid results and inexpensive operation
- Qualitative data for compound identification and purity
- The ability to monitor the progress of chemical reactions
- Aid in developing optimal methods
- Quantitative data with the proper instrumentation
Benefits of TLC
TLC is the chromatographers’ fast-lane choice for:
- Ultra-fast solvent and gradient optimization prior to HPLC
- Determining the number of major compounds present in a mixture
- Quick assessment and monitoring of both biotransformations and synthetic reactions
- Choosing the appropriate solvent system for column and flash chromatography
- Simultaneous analysis of several samples under identical conditions
Enhanced quality control & extensive product portfolio
Our plates are manufactured with stringent production controls. TLC layers are smooth, homogenous, uniform, and reproducible from plate-to-plate and lot-to-lot.
Expand your method applications with our comprehensive selection
- Silica gel, alumina, or bonded phases
- With or without UV254 indicator
- Glass, plastic, or aluminum backings
- In a variety of sizes from 20 x 20cm to 2.5 x 7.5cm
Sorbtech Rocket – Small-Scale TLC Development Chamber
Method for Conditioning TLC Plates
A conditioning method is used to ensure performance from plate to plate, lot to lot, and chemist to chemist.
By prepping and conditioning your plates, you will avoid having to rerun your sample or risk the decomposition of your compound. Follow these quick and easy steps:
- Always pre wash your TLC plate with either methanol or methanol/chloroform. Let plate sit overnight in a vent hood.
- To extract the prewashing, use the solvent system of choice for your sample and let this develop to the top of the plate. Again leave in a vent hood overnight.
- Next dry in a vacuum oven at 110°C for at least an hour. Let plate cool in vacuum oven until it reaches room temp. If not for immediate use, place plates in a desiccator to preserve.
TLC Plate Cutting Procedures
Cutting TLC plates enables you to run any size sample you want. By purchasing a large box of TLC plates and cutting them to a desired specification, you can save money, use less solvent, and customize your plate sizes.
Cutting Plastic or Aluminum Backed TLC Plates
- Keep plates as dry as possible before attempting to cut.
- Use sharp scissors and cut at a 45 degree angle leaning outside. So for instance, if you are right handed, tilt the scissors to the right.
- Don’t tilt scissors to the left – tilt scissors to the right. Tilting left causes flaking where tilting to the right will result in a sharp edge rather than a jagged edge.
Cutting glass-backed TLC Plates
Sorbtech TLC plate cutter (Cat#TLC-CUTTER) to enable a perfect cut every time without losing coating and eliminating waste.